MEET CINDY GUSTAFSON
In April 2019, I was appointed to serve as Placer County Supervisor, District 5. I feel very fortunate to live, work and serve in Placer County. For more than 30 years, it’s the place I’ve raised my family and feel lucky to call home.
District 5 is the largest and most diverse District in the County, spanning from Auburn to Tahoe. Both sides of the Sierra Crest have incredible natural resources, and strong, identifiable communities. Our District’s needs are complex and require a collaborative approach. This is why I have remained registered as No Party Preference. Throughout my career and now more than ever, I see a need to work in a bipartisan way that allows me to truly be a problem solver. I have maintained positive working relationships with elected officials from both political parties in order to best serve local needs. It is an honor to work on behalf of our residents to address our challenges.
Before being appointed as Placer County Supervisor, District 5, I joined Tahoe City Public Utility District (TCPUD) in 1991 and was later appointed to the position of general manager. Under my leadership and guidance, TCPUD created a sustainable financial model that allowed for infrastructure replacement, the expansion and improvement of parks and trails while maintaining water and sewer rates below the Proposition 218 levels.
After retiring from TCPUD, I returned to the private sector, serving as CEO of the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association, an organization that represents the business community of the region.
Cindy’s passion for public service extends beyond her career. She has served as an elected, appointed and volunteer in many local, regional, county and state efforts, such as:
- Tahoe Fund Board Member and Founding Chair, 2010-present
- California Blue Ribbon Task Force for Marine Life Protection, Chair, 2010-2011
- California Fish and Game Commission Commissioner, 2003-2008
- Lake Tahoe Federal Advisory Committee Economics & Recreation Representative, 2000-2006
- Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, Trustee, 1998–2003
- Tahoe Baikal Institute, Board Member, 2000-2004
- Tahoe City Beautification Committee, Board Member, 1996-2003
- Tahoe Truckee Excellence In Education Foundation, Board Member/Past President, 1991-2005
- Placer County Transportation Planning Agency, Citizen Appointee, 1991-1998
- District 5 Field Aide for Supervisor Mike Fluty, 1988-89
- North Lake Tahoe Chamber of Commerce, Vice President of the Board, 1989-1993
- Truckee North Tahoe Transportation Management Association, 1989-2003
- Placer County – Tahoe City Community Planning Team, Chair, 1986-1993
Cindy and her husband Wally Auerbach have lived in North Lake Tahoe for over 35 years. They raised their three sons, Erik, Alex, and Andrew in the incredible environment of eastern Placer County. Whether hiking, biking, kayaking, skiing, boating, or just enjoying the scenery, their family feels blessed to call North Lake Tahoe their home.